This won't work for me. How do I get a refund?

We work very hard to make sure all of our customers are satisfied with our service. We cannot guarantee the use of this service will result in an accepted extension, however, if the IRS rejects your extension for any reason, you will have an opportunity to correct the issue and re-submit it before the filing deadline.

If you are unsatisfied with our service and would like to request a refund, please proceed with the following steps to submit your request to our online refund system.This will help us to process your refund request as quickly as possible.

Step 1: Go to
Step 2: Select "Other Support" under" What can we help you with?"
Step 3: Select "Refund Request" in the category selection and send your refund request.

Please be sure to include a description of the problem you had or why you are requesting a refund as well as the email address and phone number you used when originally signing up. This information will help us look up your account and resolve your issue as quickly as possible.